Go out and find some inspiration

I don't know about you but I have a contrary muse. Sometimes, she's happy to sit in the house with me. Other times though, she refuses to stay indoors. She sits on the doorstep, shaking her head at my invitations and beckoning me outside. Even then, she may well skip off down the street with me jogging behind. Ok, I don't jog, but I do have to go in search of my muse on occasion.

Sometimes, nature does it for me - the park, the countryside, even my own back garden.


On other occasions, I like the city with its mixture of traffic, footsteps and overheard conversations.


The hubbub of a coffee shop can inspire me. Being surrounded by books in a library or bookshop can do it too.


The point is that on occasion, your creativity needs a change of scenery to fire up. It needs a new kind of input, be it overheard conversation, fresh air or the colours of the high street. More than just adding new inspiration, it can give us a fresh perspective, especially if we're struggling with a plot twist or a character. 

So next time your muse invites you out on a date, go. Drink coffee, stare in shop windows, or skip through a field. Do it. You won't regret it.

Comments

  1. That's the best advice I've gotten all day. Something about the aroma and atmosphere of a coffee shop always seems to get the creative juices flowing for me. And in the right kind of weather a two-mile walk can really loosen me up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

My new writer website is up and running

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball