Researching the Impossible

I write murder mystery plays for a living and often, especially for a customer commissioned play, I have to research certain topics. For instance, this year's three new plays have required me to research aerobics routines, theft from railway lines, secret societies, how to construct a shed, the sex change process, Star Wars merchandise, and literary fairies.

I'm also working on a children's fantasy novel. To a lot of people, the fantasy genre doesn't merit the same need for research and hard facts. How can you possibly research a fantastical world of goblins and magic and flying cars? Isn't it all in the writer's imagination? 

I think research still has a important role to play in this genre. Look at Tolkien, for instance, whose studies in language led to his creation of the Elven tongue in his novels. Ursula  K Le Guin researched real locations, often visiting them, as inspiration for places in her novels, such as the Earthsea trilogy.


Personally, for my own novel, I've found myself researching:
  • the meaning of names,
  • how science can tie in with how my magical devices work (mainly nuclear fission),
  • mythological creatures (for example, harpies and pixies),
  • and real life settings that I've used as inspiration for locations in my novel (Covent Garden tube station and York Minster, to name but two).
This kind of research adds a reality to our fantasy writing, grounding it to make the imagined world of our novel appear more substantial and believable to the reader.

Before I attempt my next chapter, I have to return to the subject of nuclear fission and power plants. Excuse me while I get my goggles and big rubber gloves.

Comments

  1. Sounds like fun research. I had to research walk-in morgue refrigerators once. ;) I felt a little awkward doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

My new writer website is up and running

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball