Something Useful for 2014 - Exercise No. 5


About once a month, I spend a morning in a local coffee shop with a large latte and a newspaper. It started out as an occasional treat but has turned into a regular ritual. I read the i newspaper because I love the way it concentrates the news down into manageable chunks before extending the news stories a few pages later. I also like the fact that it only costs 30p. Other newspapers are getting as expensive as magazines these days (can you tell I was born in the sixties?  - "They don't know they're born these days.").

One thing I've noticed is that as I read the newspaper, stories begin to form in my mind. On occasion, a character will jump out of a news article or a setting will form for one of my murder mystery plays. They do say that life is stranger than fiction.

This month, I want you to take a news article (from a newspaper or an online news site) and use it as inspiration for a story. The news article could be a clue to a bigger picture or it could form the plot of your story.

Here is my news article:

Google reveals first Android Wear watches to go on sale


Google has announced the first smartwatches powered by its Android Wear operating system are now available for pre-order.

You can read the full article here.

The idea for these watches is that they will use apps like your mobile phone does. However, whereas a mobile phone can be put down, put away or even left behind, a smartwatch would be with you for most of your day. It would be easier to tie a wearing individual to the internet and social media and, ultimately, track them. Could there be a story in this?

Comments

  1. Ooh, love that idea for a story. Very James Bond :-)
    It's also very Big Brother, so I'm not sure I'd like one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, there's a definite story here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Pinning Inspiration

Keeping Christmas all year round

Many Sides of Medusa Blog Hop