In a Quandary over James

I have a decision to make in the re-write of my novel. Having added two new characters, James and his younger brother, Michael (Glitch), I have to decide whether to kill James off.

If I do kill him off, then it would mean that Hartley would take Michael under his wing and his roof. There is certainly a role for Michael to play in this story and rest of the trilogy too.

If I don't kill James off, then there is no way that he would abandon his brother (James is 17, Michael is 10). They're street kids who have survived without adults for a long time. Could James and Michael still have a purpose in the trilogy if they weren't so close at hand?

Knowing who attacks James (and kidnaps Michael), I can see a purpose to his death. It would be a method of showing what the villain's magical power is but with a healer in our party of friends, surely he could be saved.

My son (also 10) says it would be too sad to kill James. I'm still undecided. Hm. I think I need more coffee.

Comments

  1. Deciding whether or not to kill a character is always tough. Good luck. I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. Still haven't decided.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Pinning Inspiration

Keeping Christmas all year round

Many Sides of Medusa Blog Hop