Happy Birthday Bram Stoker

165 years old today! Although he died in 1912, his name lives on as the creator of Dracula, a figure that, like Frankenstein's monster, has become entrenched in our cultural memory.

I read the book as a young teenager and scared myself witless for a few weeks afterwards. Every tap at my window was a vampire intent on drinking my blood (of course it was actually a moth drawn by the glow of my nightlight). That shadowy figure staggering down an alleyway in the city where I lived was surely another blood-sucking villain (no, just a drunk on a mid-day binge).

What many people do not realise is how prolific a writer Bram Stoker was, the author of many other novels (The Jewel of Seven Stars, The Lair of the White Worm, to name but a couple), short stories and non fiction.

We see the mark of his classic vampire character in so many of our novels and films. The current trend for young adult vampire romance owes a great deal to this Irish writer.

Bela Lugosi in 1931's Dracula

Christopher Lee as Dracula in 1968

Al Lewis as Grandpa in The Munsters
Gary Oldman as Dracula in 1992

Leslie Nielsen as Dracula in 1995


Comments

  1. Great book. I didn't read it until i was an adult, but I still have a hardcover copy on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realize it was his birthday. I loved "Dracula" and so many of the incarnations, especially the Gary Oldman version. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

My new writer website is up and running

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball