Writing All Over The Place

Last year, I read an article from Writerly Life called Write in a New Place. It suggests that our location affects our mental state and that as writers we should occasionally switch our writing station for somewhere new.

This year, I decided to take the challenge a little further and find lots of new locations for my writing. I like to write alone and usually in silence. Normally, I write at the computer in the dining room/study on a morning. The house is empty with my husband at work and my children at school. I'm aware that this can be distracting however - the sounds of the washing machine, dishwasher and guinea pigs are all audible from there - and my drift of thought is often interrupted. So far this year, I have picked up my writing pad and a pencil or pen and relocated to:
  • the sofa in the lounge (TV switched off),
  • my  bed (when I'm not  tired but the rest of the house is taken by my family),
  • my local library (got a few strange looks there - I don't think they're used to people using the place for anything other than book browsing and borrowing),
  • a couple of nearby cafes and McDonald's (which, when relatively empty, are fine but the noisier they get, the less I can concentrate on my writing and the more I people watch, surreptitiously of course),
  • and the doctor's surgery (again with the people watching).

The most successful  by far is the sofa. I can spread out with my notes and easily spend a couple of hours writing non stop.

In the summer, I plan to set up a writing station for myself in the garden and when I go on holiday, I shall be packing a pad and pen.

Where do you write? Do you relocate or have you a set writing location that you're faithful to?

Comments

  1. I used to write on my couch but now I write at the dining room table. There's more room for me to spread out and I don't get the backaches the couch always gave me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Pinning Inspiration

Keeping Christmas all year round

Many Sides of Medusa Blog Hop