This year, I decided to take the challenge a little further and find lots of new locations for my writing. I like to write alone and usually in silence. Normally, I write at the computer in the dining room/study on a morning. The house is empty with my husband at work and my children at school. I'm aware that this can be distracting however - the sounds of the washing machine, dishwasher and guinea pigs are all audible from there - and my drift of thought is often interrupted. So far this year, I have picked up my writing pad and a pencil or pen and relocated to:
- the sofa in the lounge (TV switched off),
- my bed (when I'm not tired but the rest of the house is taken by my family),
- my local library (got a few strange looks there - I don't think they're used to people using the place for anything other than book browsing and borrowing),
- a couple of nearby cafes and McDonald's (which, when relatively empty, are fine but the noisier they get, the less I can concentrate on my writing and the more I people watch, surreptitiously of course),
- and the doctor's surgery (again with the people watching).
The most successful by far is the sofa. I can spread out with my notes and easily spend a couple of hours writing non stop.
In the summer, I plan to set up a writing station for myself in the garden and when I go on holiday, I shall be packing a pad and pen.
Where do you write? Do you relocate or have you a set writing location that you're faithful to?