Words from the Wise

I recently returned to a book I started reading years ago, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I got about half way through before we packed up to move house and I've only now found it in a box of miscellaneous items. I packed the box in 2004.

Keeping to my 2012 resolution to read more, I've re-started Shadow and in the first section came across a passage that I thought would appeal to the writers and readers in us. Enjoy.

"This is a place of mystery, Daniel, a sanctuary. Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs their eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens."

The Shadow of the Wind

Comments

  1. That is a fantastic quote! I feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happened with me. I read half of that novel in my book club last year and I was wo busy that month that I didn't finish it. The writing is so good that you can't skim. I have it put aside to finish this summer and you picked a wonderful quote--I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Fi. That quote really sums up what books mean to bibliophiles like ourselves. Thank you for posting it today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Christmas all year round

Pinning Inspiration

Many Sides of Medusa Blog Hop