Progress

One of the main incentives for starting this blog was to write about the process and progress of writing my novel. I've written about so many things here that the novel news has taken a back seat so I thought I'd take this opportunity to bring you up to speed.

Firstly, the title of the novel has changed. What started out as 'Split' is now 'There is a Dark Divide'. The new title is a direct quote from one of the characters in the novel. It speaks of not only the central storyline but also the world in which the storyline takes place.

Secondly, in writing the novel (I'm halfway through the first draft), I've discovered a number of things that I didn't know from my original notes.The characters have told me things about themselves, details of their past and their attitudes on life (especially Hartley, he's very vocal). 

I decided to keep one of the first characters you meet in the novel alive (rather than killing her off in chapter three). This has added another element to the camp of the main character and opened up new opportunities too. 

I also have a couple of new minor characters - one who is supportive to our main character and another who opposes him. Both are colourful individuals with their own life histories to add to the world of the novel.

All in all, I'm pleased with how my novel is developing but I'm also aware that I need to spend more time on it this year and make it part of my regular writing slot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball

My new writer website is up and running