A Writerly Hallowe'en

I've been reading a lot of Hallowe'en related blog posts about everything scary recently - carved pumpkins (that's ours on the left), costumes, recipes and films - but I was surprised how few mentioned books.


So I've put together a short list of reading suitable for this night of ghosts and ghouls.

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

This is the fourth Pratchett novel about Tiffany Aching, reluctant witch and the noisy but loyal Wee Free Men. Tiffany is just settling into her new home and witchly community duties. She's doing her best but things get complicated when an evil ghost fixes its eerie sights on Tiffany.

http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk/

The Witches by Roald Dahl

My children love books by Dahl but I've kept this one back for now as I find it quite frightening myself. The High Witch plans to rid the country of children by turning them into mice (and if that isn't bad enough, she's placed a large order for mousetraps). Thankfully one young boy overhears her plans and with his grandmother sets out to defeat the witches.

http://www.roalddahl.com/

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This classic tale of horror is an all time favourite of mine. Told as a story within a story within a story, Frankenstein's god-like vanity leads to the creation of the monster whom he quickly rejects. Abandoned in a lonely, cruel world, it is inevitable that the monster will turn on its creator.

However you spend this Hallowe'en night, have a great time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

My new writer website is up and running

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball